What Documents Must Accompany My VA Disability Compensation Claim If I Was Injured by Military Asbestos Exposure?

by Channika DeSilva Gonzalez on October 20, 2018

The VA requires veterans affected by military asbestos exposure to submit a series of other documents alongside their disability compensation claim, including discharge paperwork and a copy of their marriage certificate, if they have a spouse.

Veterans who have a dependent are eligible for a greater amount of disability compensation

In addition to military records proving your asbestos exposure and medical evidence stating your current diagnosis, which a lawyer specialized in asbestos litigation can help you gather more efficiently, you will have to submit the following documents when requesting VA disability compensation:

  • a filled out VA Form 21-526, which must be accompanied by a summary of your asbestos exposure
  • a copy of your DD 214 (discharge paperwork), which you can recover from the National Personnel Records Center if you no longer have the original
  • if you have a spouse, a copy of your marriage certificate, as having a dependent will increase the amount of compensation you are eligible for

Filing a VA disability compensation claim can be a very nerve-racking endeavor, especially when you have a disease such as lung cancer or asbestosis, which are known for causing a lot of physical and emotional distress. Our attorneys, who have been relentlessly helping victims of asbestos exposure since 1990, are here to provide veterans with permanent assistance in the process of applying for VA disability compensation. With the aid of a highly experienced legal team, they will thoroughly prepare your claim for submission so that you can continue to prioritize your health and treatment. Please feel free to contact us at 205.328.9200 and we will promptly answer any additional questions you may have.