How Do Roundup Weed Products Cause Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Cancer?
Researchers and scientists have studied the link between Roundup weed killer and Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL), and have shown that when glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, enters the body, the chemical can change the genetic material of cells so that they multiply endlessly without dying. A new study published in February 2019, has shown a clear link between being exposed to glyphosate and an increase in the risk of developing Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. The study was conducted by Luoping Zhang, a toxicologist at the University of California, and it has shown that mice that were exposed to glyphosate-based herbicides had a greater risk of developing NHL.
Ms. Marion Copley, a toxicologist at the EPA has explained the mechanism of how Roundup could cause cancer in human beings and also expressed her concern about the safety of Roundup in her letter dated March 4, 2013. According to Ms. Copley, there are many ways by which Glyphosate, a potent chelator can cause cancer, which include:
- Inhibition of apoptosis: Chelators interfere with the process of killing of tumor cells in our body (apoptosis), thus leading to the development of cancer.
- Endocrine disruption: Chelators disrupt endocrine functions and are involved in tumorigenesis (development of tumors).
- Lymphocyte proliferation: Glyphosate can induce proliferation of lymphocytes.
- Formation of free radicals: Glyphosate can induce the production of free radicals.
- Inhibition of free radical scavengers: Chelators can interfere with free radical scavenging enzymes that require Cu, Zn, and Mn for activity.
- Genotoxicity: Glyphosate is known to be genotoxic, which is an important cancer mechanism.
- Inhibition of DNA repair: Chelators tend to interfere with the DNA repair enzymes that require metal cofactors.
- Binding to Zinc: Chelators bind to zinc, which is needed for functions of the immune system.
- Binding to Calcium: Chelators bind to calcium and make it unavailable for calcineurin-mediated immune response.
- Immunosuppression: Chelators can suppress the immune system and thus increase susceptibility to tumors.
- Binding to Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc: Chelators bind to these minerals and cause deficiency of these essential nutrients.
- Damage to the organs such as kidneys and pancreas: Glyphosate causes damage to kidneys and pancreas that can eventually lead to tumor formation.
- Changes in clinical chemistry values: Damage to the kidneys and pancreas lead to variations in clinical chemistry that favors the growth of cancerous cells.
- Loss of gut bacteria: Glyphosate destroys gut bacteria, which in turn affects the immune system because the gastrointestinal system makes up at least 80% of the immune system.
Furthermore, doctors believe that not only does the intensity of the exposure matter, but also the frequency. Dr. Dennis Weisenburger alleged that using Roundup, or any other glyphosate-herbicides, more than two times per year doubles the risk of developing NHL. Now, more and more studies are looking into this matter and are trying to establish a clear link between glyphosate-herbicides and Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. A lot of people who were exposed to Roundup have developed debilitating diseases which have drastically decreased their quality of life.
Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Other Lymphoma Cancer Types, All Caused by Glyphosate in Roundup Weed & Grass Products
Glyphosate is a synthetic non-selective herbicide and crop desiccant that was first introduced in the United States by Monsanto in 1974. It became the key ingredient in arguably the best-known weed and grass products in the entire world, the Roundup line of products that are available on every shelf in stores.
Monsanto, a biotech company that developed Roundup brand products, acted with malice and oppression because they knew what they were doing was wrong and they continued doing it with reckless disregard for human life. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified glyphosate as a “probably carcinogenic chemical to humans” in 2015.
In the United States, more than 750 glyphosate-containing herbicide products were sold as of 2010. Monsanto owns many of these products, and here is a list of brand names of glyphosate-based herbicides manufactured by Monsanto:
Roundup Glyphosate Containing Products
- Roundup Ready-To-Use Weed & Grass Killer III (2% Glyphosate)
- Roundup Precision Gel (1% Glyphosate)
- Roundup Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate Plus (18% Glyphosate)
- Roundup Ready-to-use Poison Ivy (1% Glyphosate)
- Roundup Extended Control (1% Glyphosate)
- Roundup Extended Control Concentrate (18% Glyphosate)
- Roundup Poison Ivy Concentrate Plus (18% Glyphosate)
- Roundup Max Control 365 Concentrate (18% Glyphosate)
- Roundup Original (41% Glyphosate)
- Roundup ProMAX (48.7% Glyphosate)
- Roundup PRO Concentrate (50.2% Glyphosate)
- Roundup Custom (53.8% Glyphosate)
- Roundup QuikPRO (73.3% Glyphosate)
- Roundup Weed and Grass Killer Super Concentrate (50.2% Glyphosate)
- Roundup Ready-To-Use Extended Control Weed & Grass Killer Plus Weed Preventer II
Other Glyphosate Based Products
- Fallow Master®
- RT 3®
Glyphosate-based Herbicides Manufactured by Other Companies
- Cenex / Land O’Lakes: Silhouette®
- Dow AgroSciences: Accord®(marketed as Accord XRT II and Accord Concentrate), Durango®, Duramax®, Enlist Duo®(contains glyphosate, chlorine form of 2, 4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid and other unlisted ingredients), Glypro®, Glyphomax®, Rodeo®
- DuPont: Abundit Extra®
- Helena: Hoss Ultra®, Rattler®, Showdown®
- Loveland: KleenUp®, Mad Dog®, Mirage®, Makaze®
- Riverside/Terra: Jury®
- Syngenta: Touchdown® (Touchdown Hi-Tech, Touchdown IQ, and Touchdown Total)
Roundup (for the garden, lawn or driveway weeds) has been used in public and private gardens, parks, crops, lawns, and many other places, virtually everywhere. We have research that links glyphosate-based herbicide products to both Hodgkin’s and Non-Hodgkin lymphoma and other types of lymphoma cancers.
Our Roundup herbicide attorneys are ready to help families receive compensation for past and future medical bills and other losses. Our standard fee is a 40% contingency fee, which means we accept our fee only when we are able to collect compensation for a client.
Lymphoma Cancer Patients and Family Eligible for Compensation
Workers may develop these diseases due to using Roundup at their jobs are, a few occupations that are known for heavy use of Roundup weed and grass products are the following:
- garden center employees
- nursery employees
- professional gardeners
Our research shows that heavy use of Roundup products and frequent exposure to the glyphosate have been closely linked to Non-Hodgkin lymphoma and other types of lymphoma cancer subtypes:
- Follicular lymphoma (average treatment costs $125,520/annually)
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (average treatment costs $122,450/annually)
- Mantle cell lymphoma (average treatment costs $105,220/annually)
- Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (average treatment costs $142,680/annually)
- Hairy cell leukemia (average treatment costs $133,790/annually)
- Angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma (average treatment costs $82,320/annually)
- Multiple myeloma (average treatment costs $192,440/annually)
Compensation Lymphoma Cancer Patients & Family Members Receive