Only people with Parkinson’s disease can file a paraquat claim
Since 1962, paraquat has been widely used throughout the country, as well as around the world, as it is very effective in destroying weeds and grasses that are resistant to glyphosate, another toxic herbicide that is usually sold under the brand name Roundup. However, frequent or prolonged exposure to paraquat can lead to the development of Parkinson’s disease over the years, a diagnosis for which people can recover compensation. In fact, this is the only diagnosis for which people with a history of paraquat exposure can file a toxic exposure claim. Accordingly, the eligibility criteria for filing a paraquat claim are the following:
- significant exposure to paraquat
- a diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease
- filing your claim within the statute of limitations
The majority of people who have significant exposure to paraquat are agricultural workers such as farmers and farmworkers. Nevertheless, there are more categories of people who are eligible for filing a paraquat claim, as they also have significant exposure to the herbicide, such as chemical mixers, tank fillers, and herbicide applicators. Lastly, individuals who live around farming communities also qualify for filing a paraquat claim, as a study found that exposure to paraquat within 1,600 feet of a home increases the risk of developing Parkinson’s disease by 75%. The reasons for which you may want to file a paraquat claim vary and can include:
- product liability: the manufacturers of paraquat failed to warn the public of the risk of neurological damage exposure to paraquat can cause
- negligence: the manufacturers of paraquat failed to place a label warning of the neurological damage exposure to this herbicide can result in
- public nuisance: the companies that manufacture paraquat were aware of the health problems exposure to paraquat can cause in the general public, but failed to take any action in this respect
- the California Consumer Legal Remedies Act: the companies that manufacture paraquat had actual or constructive knowledge of the health dangers correlated with exposure to the herbicide but employed unfair business practices with consumers, such as concealing, suppressing, or omitting to disclose the inappropriate research and testing performed
- breach of implied warranty of merchantability: this reason can be invoked when paraquat was not used for the intended purposes it has
File a paraquat claim with the assistance of our resourceful legal team
Since 1990, our law firm has been pursuing compensation for victims of toxic exposure and is bound to do the same for you. If you developed Parkinson’s disease as a consequence of paraquat exposure, you are eligible for compensation from the responsible manufacturers. While the legal process is complex and demanding, it will require minimal involvement on your part and a family member can help you navigate it, as we are aware that people who struggle with Parkinson’s disease are in a lot of physical and emotional pain.
You will only have to provide your attorney with evidence of your paraquat exposure, as well as proof of your related diagnosis, which must be Parkinson’s disease. Furthermore, our legal experts will conduct in-depth research to find additional evidence for your claim. Eventually, you will recover the maximum compensation you are entitled to from the liable companies if you choose to work with our skilled legal team. For more information, do not hesitate to contact us and we will promptly answer your questions.