Can I file a Camp Lejeune water contamination claim if I wasn't on the military base for 30 consecutive days?

No. One of the eligibility criteria for people who lived at Camp Lejeune when the drinking water was contaminated refers to the time they spent at the military base, which must be at least 30 consecutive days or longer. This is because short-term exposure to toxic chemicals does not have a strong association with the diseases people can develop as a result of drinking contaminated water.

To file a Camp Lejeune water contamination claim, you must have spent 30 consecutive days or longer at the military base

According to the Camp Lejeune Justice Act, only people who spent at least 30 consecutive days at the military base are entitled to financial compensation from the government. This is one of the most important eligibility criteria to keep in mind if you intend to file a claim, whether you are a Veteran Marine, a family member of one, or a civilian. The reason why you must have lived at Camp Lejeune for 30 consecutive days or longer to be able to file a claim is that your exposure to contaminated drinking water must be significant, and any exposure that occurred for a shorter time is usually not enough for you to develop a related disease.

It is important to know that this is only one of the multiple eligibility requirements your case must meet to make you entitled to financial compensation under the Camp Lejeune Justice Act. Besides spending at least 30 consecutive days at the military base, you must have also been discharged from the military other than dishonorably if you are a veteran, and you must have a qualifying diagnosis. A qualifying diagnosis is one that has a strong connection with exposure to the harmful chemicals that lurked in the drinking water at Camp Lejeune between August 1, 1953, and December 31, 1987.

Our diligent attorneys can help you file your Camp Lejeune water contamination claim

With over three decades of experience in pursuing compensation for toxic exposure victims, our attorneys are ready to help you find out whether you are eligible to file a Camp Lejeune water contamination claim. If you are a veteran who is seeking compensation, you will only have to send our legal team your military records, which you must retrieve, and your medical records. Family members will need to submit proof of their stay at the military base along with their medical records.

After a comprehensive evaluation of your case, you will know whether you qualify to file a claim. Eligible individuals will have their claims filed as soon as possible, as we understand that many toxic exposure victims struggle financially due to the high cost of treatment. If our endeavors are fruitful, you will eventually obtain the money you are entitled to for your unjust suffering. Finally, it is important to know that our law firm works on a contingency fee basis.

Other related questions

See more questions